5.24.2009

Once in a blue moon...

Sam Scranton, Gereral Manager for the SB Bowl hit me up the other day. He needed another copy of a picture I took of him, Johnny Ramone (RIP) and Eddie Vedder before Pearl Jam's performance at the venue in 2003. The show was a benefit for Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where Johnny was being treated for prostate cancer at the time.

This was one of two times (the other was Loggins & Messina in 2005) that I was able to shoot in the backstage area at a show. The Bowl is good about keeping the area free of riff-raff, which I guess I can understand. I was a bit nervous, even though I had full permission, about taking pictures that night. Johnny was sick and very mellow, I didn't want to pop a flash in his face (or anyone else's for that matter), so I kept it turned off. All of my shots came out a bit under and everyone had raccoon eyes. Shucks.

I'll chalk it up to a learning lesson for the next time I get the opportunity to shoot backstage again... I wish it would happen more often.Johnny Ramone, Eddie Vedder (that's Jeff Ament over Eddie's shoulder) & Sam Scranton backstage at the SB Bowl.

No comments: