11.02.2008

The only thing constant in life is change...

...an ol' wise person taught me that. My wife!

Well, as I get older, that saying is beginning to really hit home. Many aspects of my life are constantly changing around me that I could sit here and type about all day. But, since this is my music photography blog I'll keep this post relative. I came across an old picture of the SB Bowl that I took 10 years ago, back when it was called "The County Bowl." It was taken when the Bowl had a different kind of soul, it still has soul... it's just "changed" a bit. Back then it still had a lawn section and two very tall, majestic pine trees sprouting up, side by side, right next to the stage. It really gave the place a sense of peace and nature, where folks would lay out their blankets and maybe even toss a little frisbee during shows.

As the little Bowl's reputation grew, things had to change. There was a need for better restrooms, more dressing rooms for performers and a stronger stage structure to hold the sizable shows (lights, props, etc.) being brought in by increasingly bigger named acts. To make way for these things, the lawn and the trees had to be sacrificed. All was tastefully done and it is still one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen a show, but I do miss those trees.

The County Bowl 1998
The Santa Barbara Bowl 2008

No comments: